K2J Fitness

find your inner athlete

Monday, Nov 30th

Last update07:15:08 PM

You are here: Race Results Previous Years Race Reports 2009 Fall Results

2009 Fall Results

Attention: open in a new window. PrintEmail

Sportsplex 5k run 2009 007
raceday 063
Kona2 150
LCT 016
thecanadian 012
  • Prev
  • 1 of 12
  • Next

Here’s what happened in the fall of 2009. Everyone was so busy we had to split the year into two pages! Thank you to Dragan Milosevic, Ellen Dickson, Mel Roberts, Guy Beaudoin, the O’Higgins family and Bill McEvoy for the wonderful pictures.

If you are looking for a race and it’s not here check out the Spring’09 Reports


Jump to:

Nepean Sportsplex Trail Run/Walk, November 15, 2009

The Cookie Run, November 7, 2009

New York City Marathon, Nov 1, 2009

Rattle Me Bones, Ottawa, October 25, 2009

Toronto International Marathon, Toronto, October 18, 2009

Ford Ironman World Championships, Kona, Hawaii, October 10,2009

The Underwear Run, Kona, Hawaii, October 8, 2009

The PATH 5 and 10K, Kona, Hawaii, October 4, 2009

The Army Run, Ottawa, September 20, 2009

The Last Chance Triathlon, Nepean Sportsplex, September 20, 2009

The OK Tour, September 9-13, 2009

The Canadian, Ottawa, September 5, 2009

Nepean Sportsplex Trail Run/Walk, November 15, 2009

More Pictures

Full Results

This was the first year for a race that we all hope will be back again next year. There were only 20 of us but we were treated to a well organized three loop run through the trails behind the Nepean Sportsplex. The footing was good and there was hot chocolate and bagels. What more could a runner ask for? All for an amazing entry fee of $5.00. Thanks to Steve Papai for putting on the race.



Judy Andrew Piel 19.30 1st woman overall

JR Tremblay 20.09 3rd man overall

Mel Roberts 21.04

Michele Herely-Tremblay 27.15

Kathleen Stringer 35.22

Cassie Stringer 39.19 (Kathleen’s daughter)

The Cookie Run, November 7, 2009

More Pictures by Chris Bright

This fund raiser for the Girl Guides is held on the NCR campus in the east end of Ottawa. The course is NOT flat but the temperature was just right for a few PBs. The 10K is two loops of the 5K course. This is a back to basics kind of race no chips or mats but you do get cookies at the end so it’s worth the trip just for that!



Jeff Slavin 20.44 PB


Judy Andrew Piel 41.06 1st woman

JR Temblay 43.02 2nd M50-59

Karen Burns 48.57 PB - Chris’ better half!

James Vannier 57.31 PB

Erin Beasley 57.33 PB

New York City Marathon, Nov 1, 2009

More Pictures

Imagine running a marathon with 44,000 other people! That’s NYCM. Great results for everyone from K2J Fitness and a great race report from Brian O’Higgins. Thanks to Brian and family for the race report and the pictrures.


Brian O’Higgins 2.56.05 PB

Mike Blois 2.57.38 PB

John Tegano  2.59.22 PB

Dave Daze 3.50.25

Race Report from Brian: This was a very big event, to say the least. I lined up with 43,740 other runners at the start in Staten Island, but it already took quite a bit of time to get there. The logistics are a bit challenging for this race. I set the alarm for 4:30am, and was on the subway at 5:30, the 6:00am ferry, then lined up for security to get into Athlete’s village, and got settled by 7am. (The subway was a bit different with lots of folks dressed up for Halloween just coming home from the bars. They looked at the runners, we looked at them, and everyone was laughing.) So by the time you actually get to start running, it sure seems like a long day already. Combine that with only a few hours sleep the night before (when you keep waking up to look at the clock every hour that is), and tromping all over NY the day before, you get the idea. We also met up with about 10 folks from Ottawa for dinner the night before in Little Italy and had a really excellent meal. We walked partway back to our hotel and passed the party scene around the bars in SOHO, where the Halloween parade was in full swing. That was quite a spectacle.

It was raining in the morning, but nicely stopped around 7am. However it was enough to generate some good mud and get you wet, but then things started to dry out. Temps were ideal. Lots of coffee, bagels, and Dunkin Donuts. There race has 3 start waves, with the first at 9:40am. The others were at 20 minute spacings. There were also 3 different start paths, and they all converged around the 12K mark. Each start line has roped off corrals, so it is all nicely organized. The race bibs are coded with your start colour, wave, and corral. Just after the start we head over the Verrazano Narrows bridge. 2 lanes on top, and 1 lane underneath. John Tegano and I were lucky to get the top, and Mike Blois was unlucky to get the bottom. Aside from missing the excellent view from the top, there is another downside to the bottom. Several guys must have given up on the port-a-potty lines and used the railings on the bridge. The runners on the bottom who know this stay away from the sides and run down the middle.

Another tradition I learned in the Blue lane start is to hold on to your throw away clothes until the last minute. Lots of announcements tell you to toss them now, but waiting until you line up beside the double decker buses at the start means you try to land everything on the top deck with the VIP spectators. As soon as the line gets into range, hundreds of bundles go flying over.

We finally started, and it is really hard to calibrate pace. Its slow for the first mile until we are at midpoint on the bridge. Then we enjoy a steep downhill off the bridge for another mile. Some guy behind me kept asking about my pace and goal time, and when I said 2:55 he pulled right up and said that was his as well. It shouldn’t have, but that seemed to set me off a bit too fast on the downhill. The trouble is you then get a really long straight after the bridge that is maybe a bit down as well to take you to the 12K point. You pick up the crowds as soon as you hit this street, and of course you keep on the maybe too fast pace. Then you feel fine and don’t want to slow down, but life catches up at 35K. We all know that, but I guess you can always get to experience it again. The crowds are huge, there were apparently 2M spectators on the route.

The race takes your all over NYC: 5 boroughs, and 5 bridges. The contrast of the quiet sections on the bridges to the crowds on the street is quite amazing. I think the biggest crowd and noise was at the 25K mark when you exit the Queeensborough bridge onto Manhattan. That part really helped pick me up, a nice steep downhill ramp off the bridge, and into the wall of noise. It was around this point I realized I had only taken 1 gel so far. I inhaled one quickly and talked myself into another one just after 30K.

After 35K you are leaving Harlem and swinging back down to Central Park. Here is when the race caught up to me and I started the countdown and looked forward to water at every mile. I walked for about 10-15 seconds through the last 3 water stations, and that short recovery helped a lot. I almost met with disaster at mile 25- some guy behind me clipped my foot slightly, but at that point anything can set you off. I didn’t actually go down, but did the next closest thing with a wild stumble across the street. I heard the crowd gasp. Go figure, but my wife and daughter were at the sidelines just at that point as well. Anyway I could not run smoothly after that and had to slow down and walk a bit. The finish is up a short hill, and when I saw the clock with 2:55 still visible I took off to try to hit within that minute. I missed it by a few seconds, so I was just over 2:56. Someone in the grandstands recognized me and he said he was surprised at how good I looked nearing the finish, but I guess he caught me as I came to life for that very short sprint. A few seconds earlier was a different story. He sent a photo and I can see a few guys in front of me, and in the race photos from the finish line I was ahead of them. But I don’t remember any of it, I think I was only looking at the clock.

After the finish line, a hard part is still ahead which is the walk to find your baggage bus. Everyone has an official race kit bag and you check it in at the start. There were hundreds of these brown UPS buses all lined up for more than 1K I bet. Numbered last to first, and mine was closer to the front very far away. I stopped to stretch numerous times by leaning on the buses. Both Mike and John went by at some point, but they could not stop walking for more than a few seconds or they would seize up. When I did find my bus, they had many rows of bags lined up outside. Just scanning labels was interesting, it took me 2 rows before I saw a US address. People come from all over the world for this thing. Then you finally exit the park, and meet up with your support crew on an appointed side street. My crew for some reason was about 20 blocks down from where I expected, so I found some nice stairs on a side street and had a picnic while waiting for them to arrive. A subway stop was only a block away, so that was nice and simple.

That evening my wife and daughter went to a Broadway show, but I was quite happy to kick back in our hotel room. Beer is underrated as a recovery drink, and it works very well, so I concentrated on recovering. The next day I was only a little bit stiff and we walked around Manhattan a bit. I think half of Italy and a good portion of the Netherlands were staying at our hotel, and they were all wearing their medals the next morning. That must be a European thing.

It was an excellent adventure.

Brian O’Higgins

Rattle Me Bones, Ottawa, October 25, 2009

More Pictures

This local favorite gets bigger every year. There were over 1200 runners in the 5K this year! The same course as last year with the welcome addition of chip mats at the start so there were chip times as well as gun times. It was cool but dry, a PB kind of day. James and Erin outdid themselves in the costume department once again (see more pictures). Ellen's Dad James was an inspiration running a 28.25 5K at the young age of 81! But the runner of the hour was Don who ran a PB for the 10K less than a year after getting hit by a car while out running! Congratulations to everyone!



Erin O’Higgins 22.15 1st W15-19

Gillian Williamson 22.45 2ndW40-49 PB

James Dickson 28.25 2ndM70+ -Ellen’s Dad is actually 81!

Erin Beasley 31.55

James Vannier 31.55

Liam Dickson 34.12

Ellen Dickson 34.14

Tracy Seymour 35.51


Jeff Slavin 43.18

Jonathan Charbonneau 44.32 PB

Peter Foley 47.38 PB

Face Wallace 49.07

Kanako Inuyama 54.45

Karen Stafford 55.41

Nada Duffield 56.54

Mike Seymour 57.22 PB

Jennifer Campbell 57.54

Tracy Wise 59.46 PB

Don Cottrell 1.03.12 PB

Toronto International Marathon, Toronto, October 18, 2009

More Pictures

Three of our own went down to the big city to run this race. All PB’s, Congratulations to everyone! Erin’s race report is below.


Half Marathon

Jonathan Carbonneau 1.40.45 PB

Erin Beasley 2.10.32 PB

James Vannier 2.10.32 PB

So the Goodlife Toronto Half Marathon was our second half marathon. The first one was the same race last year. It was a celebration of my 30th birthday last year (the day before the race). This year the race was on my actual birthday. Last year James and I had gotten married the week before the race. We decided to wear 'Just married' signs on our back. We had such a good time with people (both runners and spectators) congratulating us and asking us about the wedding. It made the distance go by that much faster. This year I decided to wear a Happy Birthday sign on my back and James wore a sign asking people to wish me a Happy Birthday (yes, we like attention!). I also wore a birthday tiara on top of my running hat.

Our goal for this race for to beat our time from last year. It would be the 3rd of the 4 PBs we need for the K2J Fitness Award. An official honeymoon to Europe in September took precedence over training so I wasn't quite sure how we'd do. I always set 3 goals for any race. Bronze: beat our first half-marathon time of 2:18:09. Silver: under 2:15. Gold: 2:12.

The morning of the race was cool but not as cold as last year. I really like the course for this race. It's mostly downhill but there's a good sized hill between 4k and 5k and then there are some small hills along way with a final climb up to Queen's Park for the finish line. It's well organized and the crowd support is pretty good.

Well right from the start line people were wishing me a Happy Birthday. It was SO much fun.

Our race plan was to run the first 10k at 6:00/km and then it things felt good to do the last 11.1k at 5:40/km. The 5:40/k represents a new 'fast groove pace' that I've recently discovered over the summer and the max I'd done at that pace was 10k so we were just going to see how it all worked out.

Starting off felt quite good. We tackled Hog's Hallow (the big hill). I just kept telling myself that at least it wasn't the top part of that awful Mooney's Bay training hill!

I learnt something important at the 5k mark. Gatorade doesn't agree with me anymore. I switched to Cytomax this summer but thought I would be okay with Gatorade for the race. Oh, nope. I thought I was going to throw up. Luckily it passed. Kept on going. 11-15k are through a tree-lined road - very nice. Still feeling good at this point. Picked up the speed. More happy birthday wishes. After 15k we turned onto a busy street and could see the CN Tower. Now running in the 5:40/k zone and having doubts if I can actually sustain the pace. Turned onto University and can now see Queen's Park. Last year I didn't realize that the finish line was all the way around Queen's Park and thought I would hit it sooner than I actually did. This year I knew better. We didn't really have the energy to pick up the pace any more but keep going. Good crowds now. Lots of birthday wishes.

Finish hand in hand (as usual). New PB!!! Official time: 2h10:32!!! AWESOME!!!! GOLD!

Then I ate the best chocolate cake!

Running a half-marathon is a great way to celebrate a birthday (okay, I know most non-runners wouldn't agree with this). It was a real celebration of health and life.

Ford Ironman World Championships, Kona, Hawaii, October 10,2009

More Pictures

Every year 1800 or so athletes arrive in Kona for the World Ironman Championships. Almost 24 hours after leaving home Harold, JR, Michele and myself arrived among them. The only thing that was missing was my bike. We knew where it was because we saw it sitting on the tarmac in Honolulu as our plane taxied down the runway. Kona airport is a pretty laid back kind of place. When I asked about the missing bike I was told it would come on another plane sometime and I should wait for it or come back and look later. American Airlines was leaving all the bikes they had in the parking lot! So we stuck around and sure enough the bike showed up on the next flight.

We awoke the next day to a town full of fit people who were eager to exercise. There was a never-ending flow of athletes riding bikes and running past our condo. The crowd was so thick that we had a tough time getting our car out onto the road. In our jet-lagged state JR, Michele, Michel and I entered the Path 5 and 10K which you can read about later.

The week before the race was filled with bike rides, practice swims and trips to the beach to go snorkeling. Highlights included swimming with Honu (Green Sea Turtles) which I am totally infatuated with, night snorkeling with Manta Rays, the underwear run which you can also read about later and watching amazing Hawaiian Sunsets from the Lanai (verandah). A cool feature on the practice swims was the swim up espresso bar, 1000m out in the ocean there was a catamaran where they would serve you an espresso that you drank while treading water in the ocean. There was entertainment too, a woman sitting on the boat singing and playing the ukulele (Hawaii is full of people singing and playing the ukulele). 

Like all IM races, in Kona, you have to check your bike in the day before the race. Harold worked as a volunteer bike checker. He Ok’ed bikes for Andy Potts and Normann Stadler (both very famous Triathletes for those of you who lead a normal life). JR was on traffic control at one point and he let Mark Allen cross the street (a very, very famous triathlete).

Race Day started early, as always, we were up at 3:45am. We took a shuttle to the start. The guy sitting behind us on the shuttle was one of the original 12 guys who did the first Ironman 31 years ago in cut off jeans on a Canadian Tire kind of bike. I think he told me it took him 18 hours to finish, no chip times then you brought a buddy to drive along behind you and write down your times as you went along.

Body marking is body stamping in Kona with giant rubber stamps and a list to make sure each number only gets used once. After that and a final check on my bike to make sure all was well (and the odometer was working after my Lake Placid experience), I said good-bye to Harold and got into line for the swim.

The Swim

The swim start is about 250m off shore along the Kona Pier. Thousands of spectators line the pier and the streets, a helicopter hovers overhead and you tread water with 1800 of your new closest friends. I tried to stay back and wide. After getting clobbered in Lake Placid I was more interested in getting out of the water in one piece than I was in getting a fast start. The swim was not as bad as I expected, I got slapped and kicked but no one appeared to be trying to kill me on purpose. The swim got more crowded at the turn around and there was more banging around on the way back because the current was pushing us into the buoys. Just as I was finishing the swim I looked down and saw a TV cameraman in scuba gear on the bottom of the ocean he smiled at me and made the shaka sign (the Hawaiian equivalent of a thumbs up). I got tripped by a wave on the stairs getting out of the water but I emerged successfully. Swim Time 1.11.19 –my slowest IM time to date but with no wetsuit and the current I had no complaints. 13th in my age group.


A little more complex than your average T zone. I took a fresh water shower to get the salt off, got some sun block put on and headed out to find my bike. I actually ran right past it, which is a drag, but we were reunited shortly there after. T1- 4.47

The Bike

According to JR the air temperature was over 90F by 9am. Once you added in the humidity it was over 40C for most of the day. I did not have a way of measuring the temperature but I must say it was hot! I drank more than I have ever, there were aid stations every 10 miles and I took two new water bottles at every one of them. One to pour all over myself and one to drink. Whatever was left over as I was coming into the next aid station I poured over my head again. By the end of the 10 miles I was completely dry because all of the water had evaporated! Most of the bike course is along highway through the lava fields, it’s exposed, it’s windy and it’s hot. The first 60-70 km of the bike was not too bad, I was actually humming to myself and a couple of times I thought to myself wow this is so cool this is the World Ironman Championships and I am in it! (You do a lot of weird things to amuse yourself when you ride 180 km alone on a bike). When we got to the top part of the course around Hawi (the area which is renowned for the cross wind), it got tougher. The wind was not as bad as it can be but I had to ride on my drops in places because the wind was too strong for me to be able to hold the bike on the road on tri bars. Once we got back on the Queen K for the last 60 km or so the course started to live up to its reputation. We rode over 40km straight into a head wind. It never stopped, at times I was going 20 km/hour peddling full out going downhill and no one was passing me! I was not having fun, but then neither was anyone else. We made it back to civilization just in time to see the pro’s running towards the energy lab. Bike time 6.26.25 –again my slowest ever IM time but I was thrilled, with that wind I thought I would be out there for way longer! 20th in my age group.


Pretty straight forward. I actually changed shorts which I don’t usually do, got more sun block although it was too late because I was already fried and headed out T2-6.17

The Run

Usually my strength but not this time. I started out on the run and it felt bad! I was really worried but once I got things moving it started to feel better. There were aid stations every mile and after the Path 5k I had decided that in this kind of heat I was going to walk through every single water station to make sure I did not over heat. I did that and at every station I took two cups of ice. I put one down the front of my shirt and one down the back and by the time I was at the next aid station all the ice had melted. Things were going well in a running a marathon after riding 180km all in 40C kind of way until I started to overheat badly. I started to get really concerned when I was shivering in the heat. A couple of the aid stations had run out of ice and I really needed it. Once I got ice all over me the shivering stopped which is good but bad too because at this point you are going from heat exhaustion to heat stroke which is not a good thing. I walked a lot more than I wish I had but if I had not done that I might have collapsed and not finished at all who knows? Run time 4.41.25 23rd in my age group. Not what I wanted but I am not sure how else I could have dealt with the heat (oddly enough I picked up 46 places overall on the run).

Overall time 12.30.11 23/57 in my age group. The hardest thing I have ever done (way harder than Lake Placid was) but I would do it again in a minute (well maybe not this week!)

It was a truly amazing experience and you have to stay with me while I thank the people who made it possible. I have said it before but an Ironman is not something you do alone. It’s something you do with a lot of help from a lot of people and at the end of the day the person who gets all the credit is you because you are the one who crosses the line but everyone else should get to cross it with you!

Thank you to my husband Harold who has supported me in so many ways through all of this you have been truly amazing. Thank you to my parents who made this trip possible and to my children who have probably forgotten what their mother looks like. Thank you to my coach JR Tremblay who has put up with a lot from me in the past year and to everyone at K2J you all inspire me everyday! Thank you to Ken Parker and all the lovely ladies of the OAC women’s racing team, to Bill Westcott and everyone at the Nepean Masters especially the Peggie and the gang. Thank you also to Ottawa’s Kona experts who took time to share their advice and experiences with me: Leslie (you were so right about keeping your core temp down!), George, Barry, Missy, Beverley, and Deanna.

The Underwear Run, Kona, Hawaii, October 8, 2009

More Pictures

This run through downtown Kona (which is all of 6 blocks long) is held each year in conjunction with the World Ironamn Championships. It never appears in any of the programs but everyone knows it’s going to happen. Michele, Michel and JR took part in this prestigious event. No chips or times, just a lot people running around and doing calisthenics in their underwear. The pictures are defiantly worth checking out!

The PATH 5 and 10K, Kona, Hawaii, October 4, 2009

More Pictures

This race is held in Kona the week before the Ironman. JR, Michele, Michel and I dragged ourselves out of bed after spending over 24 hours flying to Hawaii so we could do the race. It was hot and humid so the times are anything but stelar. Great T-shirts, a great view and good snacks though. JR, Michel and I each won a bag of coffee for our efforts! The 10K overall winner was Heather Fuhr who is better know for winning the Ironman a few years back!



Judy Andrew Piel 20.57 1st Woman


Michel Oullet 38.19 1st M45-49

JR Tremblay 46.34 1st M50-54

Michele Herley- Tremblay 54.03

The Army Run, Ottawa, September 20, 2009

More Pictures

This was the second year for The Army Run. The weather was perfect for the over 11,000 runners who took part in the  5K and half Marathon races. Some pretty impressive results from everyone! More pictures and a race report coming soon!


Erin O’Higgins 20.26 PB 4th W13-19 -Brian’s Daughter

Peter Foley 22.05 PB

Karen Stafford 24.53 PB

Jennifer Campbell 25.02 PB

Tracy Wise 26.09 PB

Mike Seymour 27.14

Kathleen Stringer 29.05

Carole Thomas 30.26

Steve Thomas 30.26

Lousie Morin 34.13

Colleen Kanna 34.37 PB

Bonnie Badour 34.7 PB

Tracy Seymour 35.50

Kim Armitage 36.26

Half Marathon

Brian O’Higgins 1.21.27 3rd M50-59 PB

John Tegano 1.26.21 PB

Chris Bright 1.31.43

JR Tremblay 1.35.44

Jennifer Tarbett 1.36.08 PB

Dave Daze 1.38.05 PB

Mario Villemarie 1.39.07 PB

Gillian Williaamson 1.40.20 PB

Tamara Evers Tate 1.40.35 PB

Guy Beaudoin 1.42.10

Jonathan Charbonneau 1.44.55 PB

Ian Govan 1.48.57

Theresa Roberts 1.52.56

Kim St-Denis 1.54.01

Beth Sanna 1.56.44

Kanako Inuyama 1.56.59 PB

Michele Herley-Tremblay 1.58.00

Face Wallace 1.58.53

Karen Beutel 2.30.17

The Last Chance Triathlon, Nepean Sportsplex, September 20, 2009

More Pictures

This was the second year for the Last Chance Triathlon at Nepean Sportsplex. A duathlon and two trail runs were added to the mix this year so there was something for everyone. Even a 1K for the little guys (and they were very cute doing it). K2J Fitness was one of two clubs of the event and we recruited everyone who was not running the army run to come and help out. Trust me when I tell you that race day is much more stressful for the organizers than it is for the participants! Thank you to everyone who came to help out! Don Contrell, Linda Stewart, Tamara Evers-Tate, Theresa Roberts, Dave Shaw, Ellen Dickson, Sandra Fox, Janet Marsham, Mike Blois, Harold Piel, Chris Piel, Samantha Piel, Jeff Slavin, Carla St German, Sarah MacLeod, Susan Ibach, Catherine Langerin, Mike Maclean, Peggie Slavin ( my co-race director), Alma Meech, Melanie Brossium, Shane Belaire, Ron Walker, Vincent Levoie, Jay Yakabouch, Brian Wolfe, Raffaela Wolfe, the ever enthusiastic 44th Nepean Pathfinders and the guys from the Band Cross Resistance with their driver Grant! More Pictures soon!

Not a lot of results from us as everyone was working!


Team Blois 1.29.07 Melissa Ringler, Michael Enns, Michael Blois

Sprint Du

Gordon Buchanan 1.56.02 2nd M55-59

The OK Tour, Ottawa to the Atlantic, September 10-14, 2009


The OK Tour is a multi-day supported cycle tour from Ottawa to Kennebunkport (Maine), over the course of 4 days, staying in a new hotel in a new state every evening along the way, with a dip in the Atlantic ocean as the finish line. All told the course is 640km in length, however, this length can be easily extended via some side excursions, or by simply becoming lost & disorientated whilst cycling. There are wonderful rolling hills, and some excellent climbs as well enroute. The fall edition ran from Thursday Sept 10, to Monday Sept 14th with approximately 30 cyclist joining the team, supported by Derek in the SAG wagon, and Manny driving the Budget cube van with our luggage Cycling abilities amongst the group varied to some degree, but everyone was prepared for the trip. The weather largely cooperated, and we were all eager to ride.

Day-1: In order to be a keener, I decided to depart from our doorstep to the designated meeting area, where the tour officially began. I left home at 5:45am, and rode an extra 21 bonus km. Meeting the gang in the east end of Ottawa, we headed off to Cornwall for lunch, though I have to admit we did some bonus cycling in Cornwall, looking for the meeting point! The highlight of the day was cycling over the Cornwall bridge that spans the St Lawrence - and into the USA, where we easily cleared customs. We stayed on secondary highways as much as possible to Malone NY, and I logged 196km on this first day.

Day-2: The day's ride started @7:30, after a hearty breakfast. I rode along in a mid-size pack of 12 cyclists, and the first 46km were rolling hills which were a lot of fun. Unfortunately, I was involved in a bike crash, and the rear wheel of my bike was damaged beyond being able to ride. Fortunately, one of the other members of the group had a spare bike, so I was able to borrow the bike, and continue the ride. Heading solo to Plattsburg, I met up with another cyclist from our group (George), and we hopped on the ferry together. Continuing along, we rode till the designated lunch stop, had a fast bite (bagels, bananas, water), and headed off with a few others. The rolling hills continued, and we saw some excellent countryside along the secondary roads. The hills on Bear Trap road made me thing of the Gatineaus! I was glad to reach the hotel of destination in Morrisville Vermont. Total cycle distance for the day was 180km.

Day-3: The morning started off overcast, and then began to rain shortly after we left at 7:30. We headed off again, admiring the beautiful countryside in the rolling hills. The rain stopped by 11:00ish, and after a few more hills and some reasonable climbs, we found ourselves in Littleton where we had lunch in an excellent diner. Right after lunch, we had long moderate grade climb up to Bethlehem, collected our weary party, and headed off towards the pass in the upcoming mountains. The wind picked up, and we exchanged the lead somewhat and stayed on Route 302. By the time we got to Crawford Notch, the winds were strong, and we had been pedalling uphill for some time. After we crossed the mountain pass, we were rewarded with 20km of continuous descents, of various grades. Great rocks and cliffs, but the cross winds made things a bit treacherous. The final 30km into North Conway (New Hampshire) were a grind into the wind, but we were rewarded with a nice hotel, and some cold beers. Total ride for the day was 170km.

Day-4: Our shortest planned day, I joined up with around 10 other cyclists as we left at a leisurely 8:00am. Heading out, the biggest hills were behind us, though we still had some great countryside to pass through. We stopped twice for short breaks, and were eager to get to the coast. Arriving on the outskirts of Kennebunkport (Maine), we divided up the group in two, and headed for the ocean. The beach was large, with fine white sand - and the weather was 25C and sunny too! We carried our bikes to the surf, and we took turns standing in the ocean holding our bikes while photos were taken. I did some extra bonus cycling around Kennebunkport, admiring this fine oceanside town - a great place to visit (and only 1.5 hrs from Boston by car). Total ride for the day was 140km.

Day-5: The intention was to pack our gear, and take the organized bus back to Ottawa. I had to get in one more ride, so I did a pre-dawn departure, and cycled along the ocean front in the morning before the gear was packed. Snapped some photo's of the sunrise, went to visit the George Bush's (SR) residence which is located on the oceanfront, with some serious gates and fences on the driveway. I dropped off my bike to get packed in the van, took my place in the bus, and chatted up a collection of friends on the way back home. We stopped at a Louise Garneau factory outlet (in Newport), and did a bit of shopping for cycling cloths. Arriving in Ottawa, Judy was there to pick me up a bit after 8:00pm (have to finish the running clinic!), and it was great to be home again. Total ride: 20km.

My final distance total was 708km: that's a lot of time in the saddle, and you get to know your bike seat! The tour itself is called the OK Tour (Ottawa -> Kennebunkport), and this was the 14th edition. The ride is organized by This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ">Manny Agulnik There is a spring edition (last week in may), as well as fall edition (early September), though Manny had indicated that in 2010, the fall edition will take place in the final week of August.

Two thumbs up for the experience. 3.5/4.0 days of nice cycling weather. Five star people. Highly recommended.

The Canadian, Ottawa, September 5, 2009

More Pictures

The Canadian is Ottawa’s Biggest Triathlon and Ottawa’s only Iron distance race. Over 1200 people competed this year and K2J was there. We volunteered in the transition zone and raced all at the same time! A very special thanks to everyone who came out and volunteered in the T-zone Valerie Bonsall, Face Walcace, Kanako Inuyama, Wendy Lewis and her son, Jeff Slavin, Peggie Slavin, Linda Stewart, Michele Herley-Tremblay and Harold Piel. We had two teams entered in the 1/2 Iron distance Triathlon. The goal of both teams was to beat me (Judy) which they did! A very special congratulations goes out also to Ellen Dickson who completed her first ever 1/2 Iron distance race. Ellen you are a 1/2 Ironwoman! Race Reports from both teams are below.


1/2 Iron Distance Triathlon

Judy Andrew Piel 5.11.56 2nd woman,1st masters woman

Ellen Dickson  7.30.43 3rd Athena

1/2 Iron Triathlon Relay

K2J Fitness men: Jeff Slavin, JR Tremblay, Micheal Blois  4.55.55 2nd overall 1st men

K2J Fitness co-ed: Michele herley-Tremblay, Harold Piel, John Tegano 5.06.48 3rd overall, 2nd co-ed

Super Sprint Triathlon

Wendy Lewis 1.23.10


Face Walace 12.46 1st M35-39, 5th overall


Ian Govan 38.44 2ndM60-64

K2J Fitness Mens Relay team:

It all started when Judy was offered a chance to enter a relay team in the Half Iron distance since K2JFiTness was volunteer in the T-zone at "The Canadian" weekend at Terry Fox centre. Since there was no way to talk her out of doing the whole race, I had to find my own teammates. Someone thought of the idea of adding a coed team, and all of a sudden, we had two teams. Ottawans were on their toes.

We got to the race site at about 5:25 in the morning. It was dark, cold, but we weren't the first ones there. There were a few early arrivals for the full Iron distance starting at 6:30. We got our vests and headed out to body marking for the early racers. It ended up being quite busy. I think we could have used twice as many volunteers in the T-zone area. We had lots of fun, lots of sun and lots of banana cake. Thanks to Judy's baking skills. Man, she’s not just a runner, she's got great cinnamon buns (ok, Harold added that part in).

Now to the race. The Half iron distance started at 9:00 with the swim. The swimmers; Michele and Jeff, headed out to the water for their pre race warm up, getting ready to kick butt. The rest of us (Harry and I for the bike and John and Mike for the run) stood by our bikes for last minutes check, telling war stories of course. Around 9:30 I felt a strong wind coming from the south west. I was a little nervous as I was getting my helmet on, but it wasn't windy at all, it was Jeff rushing over the crest of the hill, wetsuit half down, heading straight out to me with the chip for the bike portion. He was coming so fast, I had to warn Harold to clear back, I wasn't sure Jeff would be able to stop at that speed.

In a flash, I had the chip on my right ankle, and headed out on to Colonel By drive for 90k. We had to do 6 laps of about 15k. From Hogsback to just past the U of O walking bridge. I rode the first lap fairly easy as I’ve always been a slow starter. My plan was to keep a conservative pace for the first three laps, and hammer for the last three. It worked quite well. I had enough power to give it all on the way back as we were blessed with a tail wind. Michele must have had a good swim as Harold was not too far behind. I kept seeing Harold and Judy (Judy was doing the half all by herself) at about the same area, which showed that Harry was having a good ride also. On the 6th lap I pushed as much as I could on the way back. In fact, I thought I was getting airtime in some parts of the course.

At the end of the bike there was a 300 meter run to the transition area. It took a few steps for the legs to realize what was happening. Mike was ready. I could see the steam from far away. Mike wasn't going to let anyone get away. He wanted it bad. Off he went leaving a permanent trail in the grass, turf flying all over. I thought it was the real road runner. I had to look back thinking some coyote was coming by. John was just hovering over the area waiting for Harold to finish the bike. Just a few minutes passed, John took off so fast, he didn't even touch the grass. Just like a stallion coming off the starting gate.

Great run by both, great effort by both teams. The K2JFiTness mens team came in second (30 seconds that is) to a Zone3 couple (just wait till next year!), and the K2JFiTness coed team was just a few minutes later into third position. Both teams did very well, everyone worked hard; we were just minutes from each other.

Way to go all.


K2jFiTness man team: Jeff "The Shark" Slavin, JR "The Machine" Tremblay, and Mike "The Road Runner" Blois.

K2jFiTness coed team: Michele "Harpoon" Herley-Tremblay, Harold "Freight Train" Piel, and John "Italian Stallion" Tegano.

Team K2J-Fitness Co-ed.

Saturday Sept 5 was another beautiful day for the flagship Somersault event: The Canadian. This was the venue for over a dozen races, ranging from a full iron distance triathlon, to a 3k run.

The plan for the day was to arrive early, volunteer as part of the K2J T-Zone crew, and then complete the 1/2 Iron relay with our crew, and then round out the day with some more volunteer duty as the afternoon unfolded. The K2J Fitness Co-ed team Michele (swimmer), Harold (cycle), and John (run). The team was formed just last week, when I found out that JR had formed a K2J Men's team (Jeff, JR & Mike), so we thought we would make this a more social event, and see if we could chase these guys around the course.

After racking the bikes and dropping our gear, we all quickly dispersed to our volunteer positions as we were due to start helping at 5:30am. Folks started arriving, and things got quite busy for the next 3 hours, as I took my position at the gates, and in the T-Zone, as we directed athletes, spectators, and folks in actual races to the correct parts of the course. A very active time! Michele was busy body marking, and our 9:00 start time quickly caught up to us.

We got ourselves collected in a bit of a rush, and Michele headed down for the swim. I was still gathering my gear, so I promised to wait for her at the designated hand off spot for the relay (the bike). We also made contact with John, and our group of three was ready for the day.

Michele swam a great loop - with the bumping and grinding in the water you would expect with 150 eager triathletes in the water for the first 400m, until the first marker buoy. The next 1km was clear sailing along the river until the next marker buoy, and then some clever navigation was required to take the direct line back to the finishing beach. There was a longish run to the T-Zone, and ankle chip was handed off to me (Harold) for the cycling.

It was even a longer run with the bike to the start of the bike course (I thought I signed up for the cycle event!), and I was glad to get onto the bike to start peddling. The course was a wonderful loop along the canal, one of my favorite parts of the city. The first loop was OK, with cyclists that were doing the full iron distance and half iron distance event being careful not to crowd or draft along the busy road. At the first turnaround at Hogs Back, things started to get congested as the Sprint Triathlon cyclists, and the Super Sprint riders merged onto the cycle loop at the same time….so things got busy fast! This continued for the next few loops, and there was a wide range of cycle abilities and speed on the road, so a lot of shoulder checking was in order for the day. Finishing the sixth loop, I headed to dismount, and ran back to the T-Zone for the next relay stage.

John was eagerly awaiting my arrival, and we quickly handed off the ankle chip so the real runner could head out onto the track. It was early afternoon, so John headed out in the heat of the day. Keener that he was, John was showing no mercy to the course, and came through the stadium with enthusiasm during each iteration of the three loop course. Keeping well hydrated, John was able to keep track of Mike and Judy during the run loop - it's great to see a familiar face again (and again) on the course! The final kick to the tape was a sight to behold, as John blitzed the finish line with a trademark crowd pleasing burst of energy!

Congratulations to our K2J Fitness co-ed team, and we managed to finished one place behind the K2J Fitness Men's team to boot! The detailed planning and time preparing for the relay sure paid off, we placed 2nd of 10 in the co-ed relay division. Yippee…...and wait till next year!